Gold Derby senior editor Joyce Eng joined me on stage at the Awards Upfront in Hollywood on Tuesday to discuss the diverse kudos coverage at our website, including the six different kinds of predictions of the 32 awards we cover in depth each year: Experts, Editors, Top 24 Users, Top 24 All Stars, All Users and Combined (Gold Derby’s official racetrack odds). What are the differences? Which ones are most accurate?
We also reviewed our many other editorial offerings – more than 30 articles that we publish every day, 500 in-depth video chats we conduct with award contenders each year, etc. – to an audience of more than 200 industry executives who attended the breakfast at Neuehouse where the kudos coverage of our sister PMC sites Deadline and TVLine were also celebrated.
The popular, jam-packed Awards Upfront event was produced and introduced by Stacey Farish, who is general manager and revenue chief of all three sites, and Bob Holmes of Holmes Communications Group.
The gala was hosted by funny lady Nicole Byer (“Nailed It,” “Loosely Exactly Nicole”), who confessed, “I love awards season – the glitz, the glamour, the gowns, the competition, the cat fights, the pettiness of it all. I just love to watch the faces of who didn’t win, because that’s true acting.”
Deadline’s presentation was deftly delivered by co-editors Mike Fleming and Nellie Andreeva plus awards guru Pete Hammond. Separately, Pete interviewed Lawrence Mark — who’s produced “Dreamgirls,” “Jerry Maguire,” “The Greatest Showman” and even the 2009 Oscars ceremony — to give an additional, inside perspective on the derby.
- Gold Derby offers the inside track to Hollywood leaders at Awards Upfront
- Oscars cliffhanger = Best Picture race: Tom O’Neil tracks the 5 frontrunners
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globe predictions: Don’t argue with me!
- Oscars update: Tom O’Neil handicaps the Best Picture race – It’s a real derby, damn it!
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globes predictions (Can’t be wrong! Don’t argue with me!)
- Beware: the queen approaches! Here’s why Olivia Colman is a serious threat to grab the Oscar crown for Best Actress
- Watch clash of 3 Oscar prediction Experts: Glenn Whipp, Joyce Eng & Tom O’Neil [Video & Audio Podcast]
- Tom O’Neil explains why Mahershala Ali is suddenly the new Oscar frontrunner
- Netflix to debut ‘Roma’ in 100+ theaters concurrent with web release
- How will ‘First Man’ take off at the Oscars?
2A Star Is Born10/1
8Mary Poppins Returns37/1
10If Beale Street Could Talk11/1
- Updated on: 14 Jan 19, 22:21 pm PT